Harvey Frommer / Yankees
Talking Yankee Factoids,
the “Baby Bombers” now part of the scene, with
the Yankee future becoming brighter and brighter, with all the renewed
in the franchise, herewith for your reading pleasure and edification
interesting sidebars that are part of the franchise history
reference with the name "Yankees” first
appeared in print in the Boston Herald
in 1904. It referred to the American League baseball team in New York
City. Sportswriters Sam
Crane of the New York Journal and
Mark Roth of the New York Globe, are
credited with first using the name "Yankees" in their writing about
The iconic “bat in the
hat” logo was introduced in 1947. It
has been the Yankees' primary logo ever since. The artwork was
credited to Henry Alonzo Keller, a sports illustrator who worked in New
However, the New York Times reported in 2009 that the logo
could have other origins.
According to the family of
Sam Friedman, an artist who worked
at the “21” club in the 1940s and ’50s, it was their ancestor who
logo onto a bar napkin for Yankee owner Dan
Topping, a regular “21” patron. The Yankee
boss man allegedly immediately decided that would be the new logo for
That Yankee logo is the oldest still in use in the major leagues.
Negro League teams who
played at the
Stadium when the Yankees were on the road were not allowed to use their
dressing rooms. Instead they were obliged to use the visitors’ dressing
Pennock was born
to a wealthy Pennsylvania family and graduated from elite prep schools.
was raised in an orphanage. Pennock was
refined, dignified, sophisticated. The great Ruth was the opposite of
Nevertheless, they were friends for almost three decades. The
when both were young lefty hurlers for the Boston
official fight song for the Yankees "Here
Come the Yankees"
was written in 1967 by Bob Bundin and Lou Stallman. Not used as too
at Yankee Stadium, it is still frequently played in instrumental form,
times in radio broadcasts.
first monument honoring a
Yankee legend was created in 1932 for Miller Huggins. Monuments and
were located in centerfield in front of the fence as part of the
about 450 feet or so from home plate. Outfielders always had to be wary
back for long fly balls. At one time ticket holders exited through the
centerfield gates viewing monuments on their way out of the Stadium.
monuments were on the field, in front of the fence.
Starting in 1976, the monuments and plaques
were behind the fence in Monument Park.
Created by Larry MacPhail, YANK
Newsletter was first published in 1946 and had a long run. It was
published about 6 times a year. Its final season was 1967 when it
published in a newspaper format.
In 1946, the Yankees became the first team to
regularly travel by airplane. The team leased a United Airlines
nicknamed the "Yankee Mainliner.” Despite the advantages of flying,
players, including Red Ruffing, still chose to take the train.
Yankees are one
of four teams today lacking a mascot. From 1982
until 1985, the team mascot was Dandy, a pinstriped bird.
That did not work out.
Steinbrenner liked to dine at Elaine's
on Second Avenue in Manhattan. With his team at home, he would often
an early supper.
Yankee outfielder and
broadcaster Bobby Murcer took over Mickey Mantle's locker after “the
retired in 1968
of the material in this article was excerpted from Frommer’s The
Yankee Book http://www.frommerbooks.com/ultimate-yankees.html
of the most prolific and
respected sports journalists and oral historians in the United States,
of the autobiographies of legends Nolan Ryan,, Tony Dorsett, and Red
Dr. Harvey Frommer is an expert on the New York Yankees and has
written more books, articles and reviews on the New York Yankees than
In 2010, he was honored by the City of New York to serve as historical
consultant for the re-imagined old Yankee Stadium site, Heritage Field