Harvey Frommer / Players
Also Read: ULTIMATE Yankee Quiz
Yankee Stadium Twenties 23
Fabulous Facts About the Old Yankee Stadium
Hot Stove Reading, Remembering Yankee Stadium: Fifties
Sox Quiz Red
Sox Quiz 2
New York Yankees Quiz New York Yankees Quiz II
BUY HARVEY'S BOOK: Red Sox vs. Yankees: The Great Rivalry
The Amazing, Brain-Teasing Yankee Quiz III
By Harvey Frommer
All kinds of hot stove rumors, trades, talk are part of the baseball scene these December days but no baseball. Still there are enough fans much interested in all things Yankees. So as a result of popular demand—here is the third installment of the brain-teaser called ULTIMATE YANKEE QUIZ. (No peeking at answers below)
Incidentally, your loyal scribe is hard at work on what is being billed as “The Ultimate Yankee Book” so if you have questions and answers, stories, sidebars, please send them along for the book. Harvey.Frommer@Dartmouth.edu.
Now—let’s get to the quiz:
31. Who founded “Yankeeland Farm” in Frederick, Maryland after his playing career ended and had a successful career as a breeder?
A Charlie Keller B Tom Tresh C. Elston Howard D Bob Kuzava
32. Who was the central figure when the first Old-Timers game was staged in a major-league park and the first uniform number retired?
A. Babe Ruth B. Lou Gehrig C Lefty Gomez D. Joe McCarthy
33. Who was the General Manager before Brian Cashman?
35. Who was nicknamed "Chairman of the Board?"
A. Whitey Ford B. Reggie Jackson C. Yogi Berra D. Frank Howard
36. Who was the last Yankee and major leaguer to wear Number 42?
A. Billy Martin B. Mariano Rivera C. Carlos Beltran D. Johnny Blanchard
A. Rivera is the last active major leaguer to wear number 42
37. Who wore #51 for sixteen Yankees seasons, from 1991-2006?
A. Paul O’Neill B. Hideo Matsui C. Bernie Williams D. Jorge Posada
39. Who was called "Donnie Baseball"?
40. Who made the first error in Yankee Stadium history?
A. Lou Gehrig B. Babe Ruth C. Tony Lazzeri D. Wally Pipp
41. What pitcher did Bucky Dent hit the go-ahead home run off at Fenway Park in the 1978 tie breaker game?
31. A Charlie Keller
32. B. Lou Gehrig
35. A. Whitey Ford
36. B. Mariano Rivera
37. C. Bernie Williams
38. He is still there as of this writing – Joe Girardi
39. Don Mattingly
40. B. Babe Ruth
41. A. Mike Torrez
Written by acclaimed sports author and oral historian Harvey Frommer, with an intro by pro football Hall of Famer Frank Gifford, When It Was Just a Game tells the fascinating story of the ground-breaking AFL–NFL World Championship Football game played on January 15, 1967: Packers vs. Chiefs. Filled with new insights, containing commentary from the unpublished memoir of Kansas City Chiefs coach Hank Stram, featuring oral history from many who were at the game—media, players, coaches, fans—the book is mainly in the words of those who lived it and saw it go on to become the Super Bowl, the greatest sports attraction the world has ever known. Archival photographs and drawings help bring the event to life.
Dr. Harvey Frommer is in his 39th year of writing books. A noted oral historian and sports journalist, the author of 42 sports books including the classics: best-selling “New York City Baseball, 1947-1957″ and best-selling Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball, his acclaimed Remembering Yankee Stadium and best-selling Remembering Fenway Park.