Harvey Frommer / Players
Also Read: ULTIMATE Yankee Quiz New York Yankees Quiz III
Quiz Part IV Yankee
Quiz Part V Yankee
Quiz Part VI
Quiz Part VII
York Yankees by the Numbers 1-5New
York Yankees by the Numbers 6-10 New
York Yankees by the Numbers 11-15 New
York Yankees by the Numbers 16-25
Yankee Stadium Twenties 23
Fabulous Facts About the Old Yankee Stadium
Hot Stove Reading, Remembering Yankee Stadium: Fifties
BUY HARVEY'S BOOK: Red Sox vs. Yankees: The Great Rivalry
Daunting, Daring, Definitive New York Yankees Quiz 8
By Dr. Harvey Frommer
Lots of terrific questions and answers were sent along but only a few made my editorializing. Keep them coming. You do not have to be a Yankee fan to take the quiz – it’s sort of a brain teaser. Go to it
82. After Lou Gehrig, who became the next captain?
A. Phil Rizzuto B. Lefty Gomez C. Mickey Mantle D. Thurman Munson
83. Which of the longest standing Yankee managers has the highest winning percentage?
A. Joe Torre B. Joe McCarthy C. Casey Stengel D. Buck Showalter
84. The Yankees have the distinction of being the first to train outside of the USA. Where did the training take place?
A. Bermuda B. Jamaica C. Cuba D. Dominican Republic
85. All played for Yankees and Mets, aside from one. Who is he?
A. Lee Mazzilli B. Gene Woodling C. Phil Linz D. Rusty Stab
86. What Yankee recorded the most steals of home?
A. Mickey Mantle B. Willie Randolph C. Lou Gehrig D. Ricky Henderson
87. Easy one – Babe Ruth’s uniform number?
88. Who hit the first home run in the new Yankee Stadium?
How did the Babe get the number?
89. Another easy one? Who owned Yankees before the Steinbrenners?
90. Joe DiMaggio played his entire career for the Yankees. What team did he coach for?
A. Cardinals B. A’s C. Padres D. Dodgers
91. When David Wells became a Yankee for the first time, what uniform number did he request and why?
92. How many Yankees were on the 1939 American League All Star team that played at Yankee Stadium?
A. 5 B. 6 C. 9 D. 10
81. B. Larry MacPhail
82. D. Thurman Munson
83. B. Joe McCarthy, .627
84. A. Bermuda, 1913
85. D. Rusty Staub
86. C. Lou Gehrig, 15
88. Babe Ruth
90. B. A’s
91. Three was number he requested because it was number worn by Babe Ruth who he admired. The number has long been retired.
92. D. 10 Six starters were Yankees: Red Rolfe, Bill Dickey, George Selkirk, Joe Gordon, Red Ruffing and Joe DiMaggio. Other Yankees on the AL squad included Frank Crosetti, Lefty Gomez and Johnny Murphy. Counting manager Joe McCarthy, there were ten Yankees on the All-Star team.
- Dr. Harvey Frommer, a professor at Dartmouth College in the MALS program, is in his 40th year of writing books. A noted oral historian and sports journalist, he is the author of 42 sports books including the classics: best-selling “New York City Baseball, 1947-1957″ and best-selling Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball,as well as his acclaimed Remembering Yankee Stadium and best-selling Remembering Fenway Park. His highly praised When It Was Just a Game: Remembering the First Super Bowl was published last fall.
His Frommer Baseball Classic – Remembering Yankee Stadium (Second Edition) is his newest sports effort. Autographed copies at the ready of this and his other books.. https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781630761554/Remembering-Yankee-Stadium-Second-Edition
The prolific author is at work on THE ULTIMATER YANKEE BOOK (2017)